Michigan Copper and Iron Mining History: May 6, 2011Lake Linden
Senenic Lake Linden located on Torch Lake in the Michigan Upper Pennisela is rich in scenery and history. Just outside of town located on the Hungarian River are the picturesque Hungarian Falls. Religion played an important part in the lives of the mining families. The support of these churches came from the wealth created by the mining company's. The church gave the community a sense of belonging. Also, located on the shore of Torch Lake are the reminants of the mining industry. At the Lake Linden Historical Society Museum you can see the equipment used in the mining process. There is also an old train engine with a snow plow used to clear the tracks in the winter. Behind the Lake Linden Historical Society Museum are the artifacts of a process in recovering copper from the waste rock from the mines. The ore processed here came from the Calumet Conglomerate owned by the Calumet and Heckla Mining Company. In 1887, a fire destroyed most of the town and it had to be rebuilt.- Photo and Caption by Jeff Fisher

Lake_Linden.JPG
These giant circular pads were used in a process to remove small copper particles. Vats sat on top of the pads with the waste rock and a chemical, then paddles stirred the contents creating a froth on top. The froth was then skimed off the top containing the copper particles.



Class Photos 2012:
1ll.jpg
3ll.jpg
4ll.jpg
2ll.jpg
Class Photos 2011:
This is a picture of the schoolhouse located on the Museum grounds at Lake Linden. Students were educated in trades and mining fields in preparation for the workforce. Also the schools served as a major draw for workers to a community.- Ashley Holloway
This is a picture of the schoolhouse located on the Museum grounds at Lake Linden. Students were educated in trades and mining fields in preparation for the workforce. Also the schools served as a major draw for workers to a community.- Ashley Holloway

DSCN2089.JPG
-Amber LeClear


P5050465.JPG
This is an image of the inside of the Trap Rock Valley School House. This building housed eight grades until 1940. Then it became home to the Trap Rock 4-H Club. Next it became a warehouse and lastly it was donated to the museum to be put on display. -Heather Bartels




DSCN2097.JPG
Old equipment. -Amber LeClear

DSCN2119.JPG
-Amber Leclear

DCAM0081_(2).JPG
The railways enable the population of the Upper Peninsula to be able to travel to other communities. These railways also were vital to the production of steel, the end product of Iron Ore mining. – David Eggleston

536.JPG
This is the Leo Chaput Log Cabin built in 1940 lately repaired and turned into the welcome center for the museum. This cabin is one of the two cabins constructed during the great depression. Judith Tellez-G






UP_trip_222.JPG
This bench sits on the platform at the train station at Lake Lindon. -Kait Greathouse

lake_linden_mannor_house.jpg
- by Jeff dewaters

DSCN0269.JPG
Lake Lindon Train Station and part of an old train located on the tracks. Jordan Harris
226622_10150253103582033_640372032_8717736_8019592_n.jpg
the "liars bench" in Lake Linden where people would sit and wait on the platform - Joe Fuld